ANPPCAN Teso North, Kenya
Orphans and isolated children in Southern and Eastern Africa face huge challenges to their safety, well being and development. Child labour, early pregnancy, prostitution and child marriage are some of the main issues affecting children living in Teso North District in Kenya. Together with our local project partner, we reduce the number of child abuse and neglect cases in this area.
We strengthen child protection structures and systems in schools and the wider community, increase awareness of child rights issues and how to protect children, and maximise opportunities for knowledge sharing by encouraging networking and partnerships. We know that children who have experienced or encountered abuse themselves can be a huge driving force for change at a community level, so we empower children and young people to help others through pioneering Child Rights Clubs across rural Kenya.
How we make a difference
- We work closely with ANPPCAN to understand the local context, to develop community-owned responses, and to share knowledge and solutions from other places in which we operate.
- Together, we increase awareness of child rights and child protection issues among parents, guardians, teachers and community members through training sessions and forums.
- We establish Child Rights Clubs and Child Help Desks to support vulnerable children and young people and ensure child abuse and neglect cases are identified and reported to the authorities.
- We provide training for teachers, Child Rights Club patrons and Child Help Desk representatives in psycho-social support to equip them to support children reporting abuse or neglect. We also train them so that they can influence leaders and decision makers to address issues that children face.
- We train and empower vulnerable young people to be advocates of child rights themselves, helping them to educate their peers and raise awareness of child rights issues and the value of child participation.
Hear Personal stories
Personal accounts from the children, young people and communities in Africa that we’ve had the privilege of working with, show extraordinary strength and human spirit.
SEE MORE PROJECTS
We are proud to be working with 27 project partners, across 217 communities, to support and empower young people for the long-term.